August 2009 Arts Happenings
Please phone or email relevant galleries to confirm dates of events as they be subject to change.
FREE E CARDS from Art & Photography Create your own FREE Greeting Card from artist
New collection of this popular artist’s work may be viewed on:
Every Thursday from Barbadian artist Fielding Babb and BARP invites people to join
For information please contact BARP or Fielding Babb
PHOTOGRAPHY ADVENTURE WORKSHOPS
Beginners starts 11th August.
Intermediate starts 10th August.
THE GALLERIES AT LANCASTER GREAT HOUSE
The Galleries and Gardens at Lancaster Great House (and a new gallery shop) are available for viewing (by appointment only) Tel (246) 432 0458, 432 0019 or 234 2494.
2. Artist’s Club Tuesday, 11th August, Pot luck buffet and bar. Further information from Martina Pile , artists club co ordinator email@example.com
BARBADOS ARTS COUNCIL
Crop Over Group Show featuring work from members of the BAC
Also available is a large selection of limited editions, lithographs, and cards. From $15Bds up. . website www.barbadosartscouncil.com Pelican Craft Centre,
The Tides Restaurant, Holetown, St
ON THE WALL GALLERIES
1. ‘Colour Splash’ at On The
2. Gallery at Earthworks in
234 9145 Website www.onthewallartgallery.com
During this phase, which will last approximately 10 months, participants will be given daily workshops in all aspects of filmmaking and will work together with our creative team to produce a full length feature film. Interested persons can register by emailing the school at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating their interest in participating and giving their particulars. A schedule of workshops will be sent to selected participants. Between 25 and 40 scholarships will be given to selected applicants who demonstrate their willingness and intention to undertake the entire series of workshops. The school's programme is made possible with the financial contribution of the European Union (European Development Fund) and the assistance of the ACP Group of States
‘Other Voices’. Exhibiting Artists: Joyce Daniel, Bill Grace, Ann Rudder, Derek Went, Julianne Gill, Aurelia Walcott, Nick Barnett, Simbah Pile, Alicia Alleyne and Martina Pile. Join in a singular visual feast as ten local artists share their unique view of the world as seen from a
ITALIA COFFEE HOUSE
opposite First Caribbean National Bank, Sunset Crest. Mini gallery with local prints and artwork (and free wi fi ).
NATIONAL CULTURAL FOUNDATION (see Queen’s Park Gallery and also Frank Collymore Hall & Grand Salle below) Also
QUEEN’S PARK GALLERY
'Some Of The Best In Barbadian Design’. Open Day on Sunday August 16th from 10.00a.m to 2.00p.m . Show ends August29th, 2009. The designers are exhibiting furniture design, textiles, ceramics, jewellery, as well as Graphic Design. It was conceptualized to highlight some of the excellent work our designers are doing. The majority of the work will be on sale.The exhibition is co-curated by
1. Writers Clinic has moved to a new home at the Queen’s Park Gallery. It is held from to on the second and third Saturday of every month. Don’t miss out on this free opportunity to engage with and gain objective critique from your peers, nimbly hosted by experienced facilitator,
2. NCF will be hosting a drumming workshop beginning Wednesday July 29th at the Queen’s Park Gallery at The duration of the workshop is 12 weeks for 24 sessions and the course fee is: $50. The workshop will focus on hand drumming, specifically the Djembe drum. Contact
Queen’s Park Gallery is in Queen’s Park on
FRANK COLLYMORE HALL AND GRAND SALLE
I-Queen – An Anthology of Portraits of Contemporary Barbadian Rastafari Women by
Date: Open to the public daily from
July 9th –
There is also the work of the featured photographer for this year’s exhibition,
A monthly programme is produced of all lectures, music and theatre events . To receive it by email or post please email Fran Wickham at email@example.com or
1. ‘Memory Of The World,Uncover,Recover,Discover’. Through August 2009. Learn more about UNESCO’s Memory of the World Programme through an exhibit curated by artist Ingrid Persaud, which will feature a video installation, the four registered heritage memories from the Caribbean – the archives of Eric Williams, Derek Walcott, C.L.R. James and the British Slave Register from Barbados, and more. For further information please visit the Memory of the World Barbados link: http://mowunescobarbados.org
Uncover, Recover, Discover We must confront what we remember and why we forget. The time has come to celebrate the heritage we possess, mourn what has been lost, uncover the obscured, recover the endangered and discover the hidden.
UNESCO took the initiative in 1992 to create the Memory of the World Programme to guard against collective amnesia. Its premise is that the world's documentary heritage belongs to us all, and therefore should be preserved, protected and permanently accessible to everyone. Heritage is not a luxury. It is integral to the protection of all human rights as laid out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948). It is the foundation from which the values and practices of local communities are understood, respected, encouraged and accommodated. Without this respect our future heritage resources will not be sustained. Local communities need to have a sense of ownership of their heritage. This reaffirms their worth as a community, their ways of going about things, their culture. This exhibition, to coincide with Barbados hosting the annual meeting of the International Advisory Committee of the UNESCO Memory of the World programme, will feature original materials from Caribbean memories that have already been inscribed on the International Memory of the World Register :The Eric Williams Collection, Trinidad, The C.L.R. James Collection, Trinidad, The Derek Walcott Collection, Trinidad and
The Documentary Heritage of Enslaved Peoples of the Caribbean, Barbados. It is also a chance to see memorabilia of iconic figures from many fields including calypsonians Red Plastic Bag and Adrian Clarke; pioneering artist Francs Griffith; father of the nation Sir Grantley Adams and cricket legend and National Hero the Right Excellent Sir Garry Sobers.
The Barbados National Committee for the Memory of the World has also asked local artist Ingrid Persaud to make work on the theme of memory. The resulting film, Talkin’ Wid De Old Folks which features local children talking about their elderly relatives and provocative installation, Stroll Down Memory Lane, which raises questions about the many facets of memory, are also on view at the Barbados Museum.
2. ‘A Portrayal of Portraits’. from August 17th to September 19th . which show the skills and techniques employed by pioneer artist Aileen Hamilton in female portraiture, and versatility in the use of various media.
Opening hours are Monday to Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sundays 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. St. Ann’s Garrison, St. Michael , Tel: 1-246-427-0201/ 1-246-436-1956 Fax: 1-246-429-5946
BARBADOS COMMUNITY COLLEGE
PAINT ME BARBADOS
The island paradise of Barbados will be hosting an exciting art event in February 2010. This is a special Early Bird invitation to all ‘ en plein air’ artists, art groups and communities, artists, arts aficionados, art workshop instructors and art suppliers to participate in this event which will involve ‘en plein air’ excursions around the island, various art workshops, an Art Expo and Exhibition and all combined with the beautiful and friendly ambience of Barbados and its many cultural attractions.
To receive event details for artists, organizations or companies please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or tel Suzanne Phillips +1 (246) 427 8771
ERROL BARROW CENTRE FOR CREATIVE IMAGINATION
1. Fine Arts Persons Take note! RBC Small Business Seminar- July 30th 2009 5:30 to 7:30. RBC understands that small businesses are unique and has committed to providing educational and financial resources to increase your success rate. Join them as they explain the importance of Following Planned Objectives; Maintaining Adequate Financial Records; Financing and address the topic Sustaining Small Enterprises- Recession or Not. Presenters will be Mr. Ian Griffith Royal Bank of Canada; Mr. Michael Bynoe- Barbados Investment Development Corporation; Mr. Oral R. Dowell- Small Business Association (member); Ms. Maria Phillips- Attorney at Law; Ms. Shelly Lashley- Chartered Accountant and Ms. Anita Walters of RBC will be the MC. There will be a question and answer discussion and refreshments will be served.
2. ‘Imagine Youth’. Annual Summer Arts Programme for Young Adults aged 11 to 18 years. July 6th to August 7 for $500,(just $100 per week) per child or discounted rates for two or more.
For further information, contact De Carla Applewhaite at 417-4776 or email her at email@example.com
Encompassing all the arts with theatre, film, dance, fine art, fine art photography, the written word, workshops and much more. For more information Tel: 417-4776 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
GALLERY OF CARIBBEAN ART
1. Opening reception of ‘Monkey See’ by Canadian artist Vikki Fuller on August 8th, 5.30pm-8.30pm. Exhibition ends August 28th.
2. Mazola Wa Mwashigadi , A multi-media artist from Kenya. Exhibition ends August 5th.
Northern Business Centre, Queen Street, Speightstown, St. Peter, Barbados Tel: (246) 419-0858. Opening hours Monday - Friday 9.30am to 430pm. Saturday 9.30am to 2pm.
THE SPEIGHTSTOWN TOWN SQUARE ART EVENT
Currently developing an art exhibition which will be held every Saturday for the purpose of promoting both established and up and coming artists. To register for participation please call Shirley Reid 422 3014 or 243 7308
THE NATIONAL ART GALLERY COMMITTEE
Visit www.nagc.bb - website for the National Art Gallery Committee in Barbados. The site includes ArtistNet, the database of Barbadian visual artists; a click on ‘Artists’ will take you there.
ArtistNet is a FREE NAGC service for artists. Visual artists are invited to post their profile and images on ArtistNet; for artists already on ArtistNet, you may wish to update your profile and images from time to time.
+1 (246) 310 2700 or email@example.com
GANG OF 4
The Cottage , Springvale Plantation .St. Andrew . tel 438 7883.
CHELSEA FINE ARTS COLLECTION
Tuesdays at 6:30pm at Treasure Beach Hotel at the General Manager’s cocktail reception. Curated by Terry Scott Clarke. For further details and enquiries Tel: (246) 417 5757 Mobile: (246) 239 2693 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. As of July 1st. Weekday classes for teens and pre-teens on holiday run Wed. & Friday. July to end of August.
Hours for all classes are a choice of 9am-12noon or 1pm- 4pm
For more information please contact Mark at 432 0762 or 828 7896 or email email@example.com
CONSTANT GALLERY OF FINE ART
Sculpture and fine art (by appointment only), Christopher Robinson (246) 429 2654 and 232 7830. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
FRANGIPANI ART GALLERY, Sugar Cane Club, Hotel and Spa, St. Peter. phone (246) 422 5026
BAGNALL’S POINT GALLERY, Princess Alice Highway, Bridgetown
A GALLERY, Royal Westmoreland, St James.
FINE ART FRAMING LTD, Pelican Industrial Park, Bridgetown, Barbados - (246) 426-5325
FAST FRAME FACTORY, Dayrell’s Road, St Michael (246) 426 9994
THE ART DEN
Art Supplies. Just received: stretched canvases ranging from 14”x10” to 30”x24”; acrylic paint, tear off palettes, painting boards, sketch books & sketchpads, portfolios, matboard, black & white only & presentation boards in two sizes.
BAC (Barbados Arts Council) members will receive between 10% off art supplies on presentation on their membership card.
Art Den # 437 1019, ask for Marcia, Sandra or Elsa, email email@example.com
THE ART HUB
Art supplies. BAC (Barbados Arts Council) members will receive between 5% - 10% off most art supplies on presentation on their membership card. tel: 432 2328 mobile: 266 5016
email: firstname.lastname@example.org 163 Amaryllis Row, Cordia Avenue, Sunset Crest, St James
PROMOTE YOUR EVENT AT TOTALLY BARBADOS AT NO COST !
Do you have an event that you want everyone to know about? Then list your Event on the Totally Barbados Events Calendar and let us help you generate more public awareness of what’s going on in Barbados at any given time. Simply click on the below link to Submit An Event” at no cost to you and be a part of our Monthly Events Calendar; one of the largest event calendars for Barbados! No event is too big or too small - simply fill in all relevant information such as the date, time and descriptions of each event to let it be known throughout Barbados and across the World Wide Web.